Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cokes of Sorrow (Week 3 Update)

I'm a day late with my week three update, as I left the house yesterday and forgot to weigh-in.

The extra day of no-Coke, no-Sweet Tea didn't help:

March 23: 190.2 lbs,  20.1% body fat

Cokes/Sweet Teas Drunk:  Zero
Dollar Bills Thrown Away: Zero
Feb 28 191.2 lbs/ 20.4% Body Fat
March 8 189.0 lbs/ 19.8% Body Fat
March 15 190.6 lbs/19.9% Body Fat
March 23: 190.2 lbs,  20.1% body fat
Weight Loss Week e: -0.4 lbs
Body Fat Loss: -0.2%
March 15- March 21 tri training: 350m swam/39.55 miles biked/1.16 miles run (down a bit, as I've been sick for a few days)

So after the drop the first week, I've basically stayed the same.  I'll admit, its kind of frustrating, but there have been some interesting things I've learned.  I've noticed it hasn't really bothered me as much when it comes to missing Cokes when I'm eating salty foods or when I'm going to some kind of event like a movie where its fun.  But it has been very difficult when I'm stressed or sad or frustrated.

Brian, why don't you get a Coke out of the 'fridge?
Last January, I got a call that my dad, who was only 60, suddenly and unexpectedly passed away.  I got the call at work and immediately...
went home.  After being home for a bit, I kinda just wanted to get out and drive around a bit.  I told Krista "I think I want to go get a giant McDonald's Coke".  That was the stress buster I needed.  Have you ever had morning amnesia?  There's a great Dilbert comic in which you wake up and for the first number of seconds everyone has this sort of amnesia where reality hasn't set in.  One day last week, I must have had some forgotten dream about my dad since I woke up and had this thought that my dad needed  me to help him out with his retirement savings plan or something, and so I started to plan out how to help and to give him a call. Then I remembered that he'd passed away, but for those glorious 30 seconds, he was still 'alive' to me.  I guess its one of those things that everyone who's lost a loved one has to get used to, but I really wanted to drive out and get a massive Coke from McDonald's after that.  (And other than on long road trips, "Cokes of Sorrow" seem to be the only reason I go to McDonalds anymore).




That was in January 2010, and then last August, we lost our first-born-son-to-be stillborn.  At the hospital for waiting for the delivery of our son we couldn't take home, I don't know how many Cokes I got from the vending machine.  This isn't the first time we've lost a baby still-born, and when we're in the hospital for that, I go to the large Coke machine, and get the Cokes from "A-6".  When I'm at the hospital for babies we do get to take home, its "A-5".  I'll admit I'm weird for remembering that.  Throw in both my wife and I losing a grandmother each in the last few months, and its been a Coke-filled year.

Of course, these things pale in comparison to what people are experiencing in JapanHaiti, and New Zealand, but I guess its just a function of human nature.

No comments: