Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Coke (a-cola) in Haiti

Only one of these were mine. OK, two.
In an effort to lose some poundage, I'm literally throwing away a dollar bill every time I drink a Coke or sweet tea in the month of March.

My love of Coke (a-cola*) knows no borders. I went with a team to Haiti this past July to rebuild a widow's house in Delmas (near Port-au-Prince). Breakfast and dinner were included at the guest house where we were staying, but Cokes were an additional $2.  Since I always made sure to have one, the guys made fun of me, and this picture was produced:

Near the end of the build,
as a thank you, the pastor of the local Baptist church (who was kind of the purchaser for the build), sent out and got our entire team Cokes.  Let me tell you, there is nothing more refreshing than an ice cold Coke late in the day after carrying cinder blocks and 92-pound concrete bags in 95 degree heat.  Thanks, pastor!



Even in the rubble, Coke sales go on.


By the way, some of our team along with some new guys are in Haiti right now building a house, including my brother Eddy.  Please keep them in your prayers, and feel free to follow them on our blog: http://hdmenhaiti.com/

Just wanted to give you some context as you root for me to not drink a Coke or sweet tea this month.

*My wife is making me add (a-cola) that, thinking some people would assume I meant the other type of 'coke'.

No comments: