Monday, April 4, 2011

Did A Month Without Coke (a-Cola) really work?

Back on February 28, I said I'd throw away a dollar bill every time I drank a Coke or a sweet tea.  Why? 
Despite working out a decent amount, I'd plateaued in the weight-loss/fat-loss department.

I was also curious to know if I could actually do it, being a fairly well-known Coke (a-cola) addict, even in Haiti. In the past, I've tried to quit drinking Coke, only to get hooked on sweet tea.

I also thought more about how Coke isn't just something to drink, its also been a crutch/relief during hard or sad times. Even more than wanting a Coke with salty foods or going to the movies, the hardest times this month to not have a Coke were when I was frustrated or in a funky mood.

As far as working out went, in March- 6450 swim (about 4 miles), 141.28 miles biked, and 41.04 miles run.  Not a lot for a triathlete, but probably more than the average human.  I only lifted weights once, which is a bit down, but I've gone months without lifting before.

In putting down my workout totals every week, I found out something else. I've shared workout stats with a few friends before, but never 'publicly'.  In the past, I've kinda been taking a week off each month.  This time, I couldn't suddenly drop from a 1500/35 mile bike/10 mile run week down to nothing- so the March blog's helped with that, too.

OK, now to answer the question- did dropping Coke and sweet tea from my life for a month really make a difference?

February 28: Weight - 191.2 pounds: 20.4% body fat
April 1:         Weight - 187.0 pounds: 19.3% body fat

That comes out to a loss of 4.2 pounds, about a pound a week, and a drop of 1.1% body fat. That's good, I guess, especially since I didn't really change anything else. Part of my was hoping I'd drop 10 or 12 pounds, but I probably needed to combine the no-Cokes with part of my diet.  In any case, it was fun, it was great to have people support me...and, it leads me to my next project.

How to Bring Back The Chicken.  What?  You'll soon see!

No comments: