Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mini-Dwyane Wade In Haiti?

(This week I'm doing stories from my trip to Haiti in July 2010 around the anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti to encourage people to Pray, Donate, Go!)

It was surprising it took so long, but on our last afternoon in Haiti, several of us decided to walk the 100 feet from the part of the Bethel Guest House where we were staying, to the wing of the guest house that had been converted into an impromtu orphanage after the earthquake.

Earlier we had visited the actual orphanage in Carrefour, the poorest section of Port-au-Prince (which is saying something).


You can see in the bottom right sight it is spray-painted with the word 'demolir', which means it is marked to be 'demolished'.  They said it couldn't be repaired, and would take $20,000 just to have it demolished, let alone the cost to rebuild.

Since New Life Link Orphanage no longer had a home, they moved the older kids to another site, and the younger kids and babies were moved to this portion of the Bethel Guest House.  Here is a quick tour:



We had a lot of fun with them.  The kids reminded me of my 3- and 5-year-old girls, because all they wanted to do was climb on me.  I also tried to teach a couple of the older kids my one magic trick, but I'm not sure they ever got it.  One kid in particular, who I called Dwyane Wade for obvious reason, just wanted to hang out with me the whole time.


I didn't have the urge to adopt all of them, but I do support people who are interested in adopting kids, and at least we found a great place where kids could live until they're adopted.  I was told about 50% of the kids were already in the adoption process and waiting to be brought home.  Before the earthquake, adoption requests were about 50% from the US, and 50% from France. After the earthquake, it changed to 95% US, and 5% France.  I don't know that France slacked off, but they did say the US really stepped up!

For a really inspiring story regarding New Life Link, here is the rather harrowing story of a local Nashville man who rushed to save his to-be-adopted daughter after the earthquake.  From that connection, Mike and Brent Gambrell Ministries connected with Bethel Guest House and New Life Link and are now hosting mission teams, helping kids get adopted, and changing peoples lives in the Haiti and US in amazing ways!

Also see www.HDMenHaiti.com

No comments: