Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Old Hickory Lakes Triathlon- Race Review

I finished my first triathlon of the season, and had a pretty good time doing it.  My goal for the 400 meter lake swim was to beat my previous best time of 12:22, and to swim free-style the whole time.  In the past,
I've had to flip over and do the back stroke to catch my breath.  This time, I was able to swim straight through the whole way in by far my fastest swim ever, at 10:08.

Old Hickory Lakes is just a weird triathlon.  95% of triathlons go swim-bike-run.  This one goes swim-run-bike-run.  It usually takes me about a half mile into the run to recover from swimming or biking, so that I run at a faster pace at the end of a run than at the beginning.  This race just killed that, because I was recovering from swimming or biking during the entire run.

This is 'the year of the bike' for me, as I've already done two bike events this year.  Its fun, because I seem to have more of a naturally talent for cycling than distance running or (definitely) swimming.  The bike was 46:40, beating 49:48 by over 3 minutes.  I'd hardly worked on the run over the past two months, which ended up being slower in the past, but I did beat my previous best by over 3 minutes.

The biggest difference is that I now have a lot of friends I'm racing with.  Two years ago, I kinda knew one guy there.  This year I knew several.  Its nice to be able to have your faster friends cheer for you at the finish line, and to be able to cheer on others when they cross.  Also, I need to remember to either get a really short haircut right before races, or take off my visor for pictures. I look like some sort of weird peacock.

No comments: