Monday, May 24, 2010

Nervously awaiting my own (time) trials

Following the guidelines of 'Racing Weight', I have my first time trials today and tomorrow.  The goal of the book isn't so much to lose weight, it is to lose weight to affect performance.  When you start, you take down your body fat and weight, and do a specific distance in your particular area of racing (i.e. a time trial).  A month later, you take the same measurements, and complete the same time trials to see if being at a lower weight and body fat is positively affecting your performance.  I've weighed in this morning, and will be doing my 400 meter swim time trial at lunch today, and my 10 mike bike time trial tomorrow morning.

Week of April 26: Weight: 194.6. Body fat: 20.4%.
Swim time trial: 400 meters- 10:09
Bike time trial: 10 miles- 33:57

Week of May 24: Weight: 186.8. Body fat: 19.4%
Swim time trial: (today at lunch)- ???
Bike time trial: (tomorrow AM)- ???
----------------
5/25- My swim time trial result: 9:52, an improvement of 17 seconds, or 2.87%.  The bike time trial result: 32:57, an improvement of 60 seconds, or 3.03%.  It looks like in my case, dropping 1% body fat made me about 3% faster.  If I can lose my goal of 5% body fat, will that make me 15% faster?  Time will tell.

No comments: